Saturday, September 5, 2015

Hello Hamburg.... Hello Zurich!

Day 1

After two weeks in Europe, my brother and daughter have to head home while I begin my third week in Europe on my own.  Today we had to be out of the apartment by 10am, but that was not a problem because I had an early flight and J & A need to catch their flight out to by 12:30pm anyhow.  I was up first, Ashley about ten minutes later.  I headed off to the bus station to catch the air shuttle to the airport around 8:30am and boy I'm glad I did.  It's not exactly simple to figure out how the air shuttle works (hint you need to get a special ticket, and the entrance to where the bus is is kind of hidden - follow signs for the S).  

 I decided to fly out from Prague to Zurich to meet up with a friend and include a long layover in Hamburg to see a little of that city as well.  I had a little more than a half day to explore a bit of Hamburg before I was in Zurich.  

Hamburg is a beautiful sea side city that I must go visit and explore more.  I didn't have much time to see a lot, but I did get a chance to see a little.  It was a blustery day, with clouds threatening rain while I was on my walk but that didn't stop people from being out and about.  I randomly wandered from the main train station just to get a feel for the surrounding area.  I happened across a flea market in this square that was really popular.  I walked through neighborhoods, discovered a small park and a walking trail and saw both old and new apartment buildings.
Hamburg Highlights

Zurich is very green and open.  My hotel is near the airport, so I'm still on the outskirts of the city.  I'll see more of it tomorrow :)

In other news... I heard late that J and A made it home safe in the US.

Observations:

  • If you ever have to take the Prague air shuttle from the train station to the airport, you have to make sure you get a seat.  The bus driver I had was a very volatile driver, slamming on his brakes at the last moment, taking corners quickly and late - it's not easy to stand, keep a hold of your luggage and survive without some pain
  • The Jerusalum Synague in Prague is beautiful 
  • Lots of farmland in Zurich, the green everywhere is almost fairy-tale like
  • There is a literal fence yard near my hotel - I don't think I'd ever say those two words together - fence yard, but each time I go by it I think it
  • In Zurich, the people speak German, but a dialect of proper German.  My friend told me you have to speak to them in German and they will know you aren't speaking their dialect and switch either to english or proper German 


By the water in Zurich


No comments:

Post a Comment